About the Program
The media and Entertainment industry is seeing exponential growth and within the M&E sector, the TV itself is expected to post a CAGR of 7% to Rs.847 billion (US$ 12.01 billion) by 2023 according to a FICCI-EY report and with an estimation of India’s internet users expected to reach 900 million by 2025, there appears an increase of CAGR at 45% until 2025. DY Patil University, Mumbai has designed the curriculum for its new Communication and Media department to suit the changing media scape, growth and demand.DY Patil University, which hosts a cluster of India’s premier educational institutions, is now all set to provide a Bachelor’s program in Communication and Media Studies (B.CMS) through extensive academic sessions guided by industry specialists. Our curriculum contains dynamic theoretical lectures, and hands-on practical sessions, in addition to classroom assignments and compulsory internships. The program apart from providing knowledge regarding different genres of media (Print, Audio, Audio Visual and New Media ), also promises to provide exposure to the challenging corporate world.Adapting to the best communication skills is the primary need of every field. The curriculum designed for Communication and Media Studies is a balanced mix of lively theoretical lectures in spacious technically equipped classrooms, hands-on practical and practice sessions in labs with software suitable to the industry. Furthermore, Guest visits, field trips, study tours, projects and an intensive internship program are included to strengthen the practical exposure to the students.
Duration : 3 Years
The first year has courses that provide a foundation to the program while in the second year the courses take students through the core Interdisciplinary cluster of Communication and Media Studies. The final year courses provide an opportunity for Specialization,projectsand an understanding needs of the corporate’s communication section.
I Year: Introduction to foundational concepts of Communication and various genres of Media.Reporting and Writing for media in English and Regional language, writing for Digital Media, Designing the page, Introduction to regional language journalism, literature and culture.Constitution of India.
II Year: The program will introduce students to concepts of Animation, Photography, Media and Society, and Psychology of Society, Media Laws, Environmental Communication. In addition, a student will be offered a bouquet of subjects (Graphic Design, Fashion, Food, Event, Entertainment, Sports, Health and Science) in which he/she may wish to specialize.
Communication, and the subjects related to the corporate world. The student will learn Public Relations and Corporate Communication, Advertising, Marketing Communication, Event Management and Media Organization and Media Management. The student will work on a project suiting his/her interest to enhance their profile to meet up the placement requirements.pulvinar dapibus leo.
- Any student has passed 10+2 level or its equivalent in science/arts/commerce stream
- with a minimum of 50%
- Any student with good communicative skills ( reading+writing+speaking)
- Any student with an element of creativity and has an expression of being innovative
- Students with theatre and other art and cultural background will have an edge overall others
Who Should Opt for BCMS
- Students who aim to acquire skills suitable for media
- Students who aspire to acquire positions in Corporate/Advertising fields
- Students who aspire to work behind the camera
- Students who aim to conduct the event
The following are the Programme Outcomes for the three-year full-time BA Mass Communication programme at DY Patil University’s Department of Communication and Media Studies. Students completing the programme should be able to:
1. Understand the Theoretical & Historical Perspectives of media formats and the adapting to suitable writing skills. The stress is largely on writing correct and clear for the audience and disseminating the information effectively.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of connecting communication skills to the diversified fields of education. The program will assist students to understand the importance of communication in diversified fields like sports, health, travel,hospitality, culture, relations, psychology, and management.
3. Understand the communication needs of developing societies, develop empathy and understanding, and become the voice of underprivileged, voiceless communities
4. Understand and apply the principles and laws related to the media and entertainment industry. The course will educate futurecommunicators on the need of being ethical and principled
5. Apply modern tools and technologies relevant to various media and communication professions for purposes of production, creative design and research suitable to the communications world.
- Fully furnished Media Lab with suitable Application
- Town Hall suitable for Theatre Activities
- Community Radio
- Well-equipped Studio
- Compulsory Internships
- Industry Exposure through Structured Seminars/Workshops, Field visits and Industry
- Facility to participate in Major Events related to film, sports etc
- Journalism Related ( Print + Magazine + TV Channels + Digital Media)
- Entertainment Industry ( Television Production Houses + Radio RJ + Independent
- Film Makers)
- Advertising and PR Agencies
- Communication Department of Corporate Houses
- Event Management Firms
- Hospital/Hotel/Travel/Sports Industry among others
- Media Planning Houses
- Market Research Agencies
- Media Writing and Production
- Television Production
- Radio Broadcast and Podcasts
- Public Relations and Corporate Communication
- Advertising and Marketing Communication
- Event Management